lauantai 17. joulukuuta 2016

Some sporadic thoughts about third term


I close my suitcase and lock my cupboard. My room looks oddly clean, despite the scrambling wallpaper that never got fixed. I smile at the thought of it and take a deep breath before closing the door behind me.

It's over. Third term. The infamously hectic third term. The term they all warned us about.
It's over and we all made it through the endless EEs, IAs, November exams, TOK essays, all other essays, SATs, ACTs, labs, FOAs and written tasks.
On the last two days of the semester, the legendary Mount Wilko next to our campus caught on fire - twice - how symbolical is that.

I make my way the parking lot, and I feel more anxious than I've felt at the end of my previous semesters. I feel anxious, because this is the last time I leave campus before I actually leave for good. It's maybe a bit early to think about that five months in advance, but I can't really help it.

 On my way to Mumbai, I wonder how fast time has gone, despite how long these 1,5 years have occasionally felt when I've had to bury myself into coffee cups and academic articles and Global Politics essay outlines at 2 am. I wonder how weird it is that this place is now my new "normal" - and how I'm not even seeing my precious Arctic Circle until June, and though it feels weird, it feels less weird than I expected.

As we reach Mumbai, the taxi driver cannot find the right apartment, so he casually tries to dump us to the middle of Bandra. And like nothing was more usual, we use our weak hindi skills to fight with him and eventually manage to find our friend's aunt's place where we'll be staying until we catch our flight to Thailand next week.

It's been a few days now since the semester ended, and first of all, I've always loved Mumbai more than anything - but God it feels good to just be out of campus. Funnily enough, the densely populated area of Bandra, with street noises flowing in from the windows and buildings after buildings covering all of my eyesight, feels incredibly relaxing. Yesterday I was having my morning coffee by the window, and a frigging parrot almost flew in. As much as I sometimes get frustrated at the challenges I face here because of cultural differences, this is the part I love about India. The fast-paced, hectic atmosphere that swallows you in and makes you realize how different life can be from the monotonous days in Finland.



Some of my second-years, now scattered all over the world and reaching out for us in their longing for MUWCI-days, have been asking me how third term was, telling me how much they wish they would've appreciated the years they had here. It's been hard to say "how third term was"; it feels a bit like you've been running on a busy street, trying to find your destination with people shouting and cars getting on your way, and always just ending up in a new corner that you didn't know existed. But I can already feel that longing they felt; it already feels like the calm after the storm. Though I'm still confused about what just happened during the last few months, or during the last 1,5 years actually, I can already feel a lot of nostalgia about the green valley of Mulshi. About the cold, foggy mornings on top of that hill in rural Maharashtra - that by the way, are not a thing in Mumbai where the air feels like it has been pressed into a tiny jar.  

It's been such a crazy fall. "Fall" in all its meanings. One day I'll look back and think about the absurdity of all this; about how much I survived in MUWCI and about how I'm spending my break in this small bohemian apartment in Mumbai with my Norwegian friend, with whom I'm flying to Bangkok with in 3 days. I honestly don't always know how I ended up here and what it means to be an UWCer, but as I said, one day I'll know the purpose of all of this. 
Right now I need to sleep though, I haven't really done any of that since August. 

- Ella

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti